Tuesday, August 7, 2012

there's no place like home...


I stumbled up this quote photo on Pinterest (my current favorite way to waste hours at a time) and a few months back when I posted it, I didn't realize the significance it would hold for me now. I shall try in a hopefully eloquent way, to explain the drive behind this post.

At one point during my college time, I sat through an evening with a well known christian author.  He spoke about stories and how all stories have 3 main parts.  The beginning, the middle, and the end.  Being a teacher  I would have to agree with his statement.  He went on to further describe how the Bible models this three act story layout.  You have the Old Testament which provides the beginning and background for the church; the middle comes and Christ appears.  You have the climax of his life, death, and resurrection.  The Bible concludes with giving you a preview of what is to come when the third act begins.  We are currently still living in this second act.  The church as we know it today, is the middle of this story.  Act 3 hasn't begun yet and it won't until the good Lord decides to come back.  What an act 3 that will be....Shakespeare has nothing on Him :)

Because we are "stuck" in act 2, there is something deep inside our soul that longs for the end of the story.  Most people would agree there is nothing worse than a story that does not end. My least favorite movies are "cliff hangers".  My least favorite books are those which should have another but the author decides to stop.  We were created with a "three act story" mentality.  So we wait for the third act of our story to begin.  Some days I don't notice this, but then other days I'm reminded of it and I think "yes, that's the unsatisfied part of my soul."  

While I haven't read nor studied much of CS Lewis, I know he was a marvelous writer and a brilliant thinker.  I think he must have had some dreams deep in his soul and I think he must have sat at God's feet and spoke deeply to him.  I think this quote of his is an mirror of that desire for the final act.  The day when earth is no longer the earth we know but the heavenly kingdom begins.  It will be a different world; one we cannot fully understand now.

I read through the book of Hebrews (great book by the way).  It mentions multiple times the world that is coming.  The story that has not be written; known only to God.  

"All these people [referring to all the great men/women mentioned previously] were still living by faith when they died.  They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.  And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. ... Instead, they were longing for a better country --- a heavenly one."   Hebrews 11:13, 16

"For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come."  Hebrews 13:14

It all points to the story that hasn't arrived yet.  The part of the play in which you breathe a final breath and stand to your feet in applause.  It's not here yet.

When I think of the idea of my life being a mini story within God's enormous story book, it's comforting to know that the end is written and He wins.  Within my mini story are micro stories (if such a thing even exists).  This house hunt/move is one of those micro stories.  Currently it feels like an elephant story; a gigantic rock sitting on my shoulders; an unending story.  I am struggling waiting for this third act of the move to arrive.  To know that we have found a house, to load a U-Haul and finally move.  The in between is torture. I think part of my longing will be satisfied when this micro story ends; when life becomes it's new "normal".  

But until God begins His third and final act, my soul will never be fully satisfied with this world.  It's almost comforting to know that this longing I feel is because I was created 

for more than a one room motel; 

for more than "being an American";

for more than being a wife;

for more than being a teacher;

for more than this world can provide.

I was created to sit at the feet of a mighty King and worship Him without reservation.  Someday this story will be complete.  The third act will arrive and praise God my soul will sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment